Nigella Lawson was ready to give her 10-year marriage another shot before she learned from a newspaper that her husband was filing for divorce, sources have revealed.
According to The Sun, the TV chef was unaware Charles Saatchi had filed for divorce until he issued a statement to the Mail on Sunday, and pals say she had planned to reconcile with the 70-year-old art dealer after she returned from an upcoming trip to the US.
“Poor Nigella is beside herself,” one said. “She had no idea that Charles was going to file for divorce.”
In the statement, Saatchi spoke of Lawson’s failure to publicly defend him after photos of him grabbing his wife’s throat outside a restaurant were published last month.
“I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way,” he said.
“This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart. The row photographed at Scott’s restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention – as indeed she has done in the past.”
Saatchi’s friends told The Sun: “He feels his reputation has been dragged through the mud without her lifting one finger to help him.”
Saatchi accepted a police caution for the incident after initially trying to dismiss his actions as a “playful tiff”.
Lawson’s belongings were recently photographed being removed from the Chelsea home she shares with Saatchi and her two children from a previous marriage.