Here are a few classic hangover cures you’ve probably tried at least once in your life:
1. Drinking water and taking Advil before bed.
2. Eating greasy foods to soak up the alcohol, either the night of (3 a.m. Jack in the Box run!) or the morning after (hangover brunch! Bring your sunglasses and your shame).
4. Alternately, not doing anything the entire day until the hangover cures itself.
5. Just start drinking again.
6. Drink less the night before. Never.
It has to do with how your body processes alcohol. Here’s the science of it all:
“[Alcohol] is metabolised into acetaldehyde by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and then into acetate by aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH). Unlike acetaldehyde, acetate is innocuous and may even be responsible for some of the positive health benefits of alcohol consumption.
Therefore the key to reducing alcohol-related damage lies in minimizing the amount of time acetaldehyde is present in the body.”
Basically, ALDH = good, ADH = hangover.
The study concluded that: (1) Certain beverages will actually increase ADH activity, making symptoms of hangovers worse and (2) Sprite leads to quicker acetate breakdown, effectively shortening your hangover.
(Soda water also worked. But that’s less delicious.)
If you’re still confused, here is frat boy science: Alcohol is good. Too much alcohol makes a hangover. Hangovers are bad. Sprite makes you feel better. Conclusion: Drink Sprite.
Since I don’t drink anymore, this is not something that will benefit me.
But for all you drinkers out there.
Here’s another reason to have a good time.
So…..Drink Up Bitches (but do it responsibly).